The Westchester/Putnam Youth Symphony is an orchestra in New York State founded in 1996. We are dedicated to enrich the musical experience of young musicians in Grades K-12 in the local community. Student musicians from Northern Westchester and Southern Putnam Counties are welcome to join us. We have grown from the original nineteen members to the outstanding organization that it is today. There are 3 orchestras and a jazz band:
- the Primaire Players (string students in Grades K-6)
- the Junior Symphony (strings students in Grades 6-9)
- the Senior Symphony (string, brass, woodwind, and percussion students in Grades 9-12)
- Jazz Band (saxophone, brass, guitar, piano, and percussion students in Grades 8-12)
WPYS provides an opportunity for students in the Northern Westchester and Southern Putnam area to meet peers with a similar interest in music. It also provides students with the chance to perform various styles of music in various venues throughout our area. We perform works by various composers such as Bach, Mozart, and Tchaikovsky, as well as more modern works and pieces that have been written by our own members.
All rehearsals are held at Mahopac High School. Performances are held at various local school districts in the Winter. Our Spring Gala Performance is held at the Paramount Hudson Valley Theater. We also serve our community by performing for local Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities.
WPYS also provides traveling opportunities. Every four years our students are able to participate in our European Concert Tours. Our next European Concert Tour will take place in July 2015.
What we've done:
- Toured Lincoln Center and performed in the plaza at Lincoln Center
- Performs yearly concerts at the Paramount Hudson Valley Theater in Peekskill, New York
- Hosted violin soloist Dan Auerbach, graduate of the Julliard School, performing Vivaldi's "Four Seasons"
- Performed at the "Jack Frost Winter Fest" sponsored by Carmel Parks and Recreation.
- Performed at "The Westchester" in White Plains, New York
- Performed at "The John Jay Homestead" in Katonah, New York
- Our quartet groups perform at the Women's Resource Center's annual Gala Food and Wine Expo at the Villa Barone in Mahopac
- Our Senior Symphony has performed in three European Concert tours - in 2011 to Germany and the Czech Republic, 2002 to Austria, Slovenia, and Italy and 2007 to France and Italy.